Starting a home business a dream for many people. Not quite as easy as you might dream about. Being solely in charge of yourself and your time is not as easy as you might think. The over confidence and surprise of unexpected issues can cause great stress and confusion. There is also the problem of being able to self-motivate with out the pressure of a boss on your back. Many people find themselves more distracted and less productive when left to their own demise. When you work from home you are responsible for managing your own time. To organize yourself better and get more done try the following tips to successful time management as your own boss.
1. Make sure you have a separate work area in your home. This does not mean that you have to have a complete office in a private room. Just make sure you have a desk and all your accessories in a corner of one room. This will be your defined work area and everything you need should be in reach.
2. Learn how you work best. You really need to find the best place in your home that will make you the most productive. Make sure you are comfortable but not distracted by outside influences.
3. Be mentally ready to take on specific tasks. Make sure to plan your workday to fit your energy level. Be realistic on what you can accomplish. If you are a morning person, then do the hardest things in the morning hours. Make sure to value your personal commitments, these will give the breaks you will need to clear your head and get energized.
4. Make sure you have the time to accomplish tasks by setting specific business time hours. Most people just figure that because you are at home you are available. This is not true. Interruptions are the biggest problems with the self-employed. Make sure the people know when you are working and not to call, IM, or e-mails you. Put the hours you are available to and from on your web site to allow customers to know when you will be there physically. Also let friends and anyone not business related know that during this time frame you will not be available for social calls.
5. Realize that this way of working takes a lot of negotiating, planning, and prioritizing. No matter what you do you will get that personal call or drop in while you are trying to work. You will also get that business call or e-mail after your specified hours. It happens to everyone. Don’t stress out. Take the emergency approach. If this is a personal or business emergency deal with it immediately. If it is something that can wait till an appropriate time, then let the person know.
Starting a home business should be about wanting to spend more time at home, being in control of your time and your money and securing your future. If you truly desire those things then starting your own business from home is a wise decision and one that you should explore deeply and carefully.